How does Mydayis compare to Adderall?
Both Adderall XR and Mydayis are considered "mixed amphetamine salt" products and contain both amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. Specifically, both products contain the following ingredients:
- Amphetamine Aspartate
- Amphetamine Sulfate
- Dextroamphetamine Saccharate
- Dextroamphetamine Sulfate
While both products contain the same active ingredients, Adderall XR and Mydayis differ in strength and release mechanism. These differences result in both of these drugs having slightly different characteristics in terms of absorption, duration of action etc... Below we detail some of the key points for each drug and summarize the differences.
Adderall XR Characteristics
Adderall XR is an extended release amphetamine salts capsule that contains two types of drug-containing beads:
- Immediate release drug beads
- Delayed release drug beads
This two bead delivery system is sometimes termed "double-pulse" and is designed to deliver a dose quickly after administration and a dose later that is intended to prolong blood concentration levels of amphetamine.
Adderall XR beings to work 30 minutes to 1 hour after dosing and maximum concentrations in the blood are reached 7 hours after administration.
Adderall XR was designed to mimic dosing of two immediate release Adderall tablets. As an example, administration of one Adderall XR 20 mg capsule provides blood concentration levels that are comparable to two 10 mg immediate release Adderall tablets dosed 4 hours apart.
Adderall XR is available in the following strengths:
- Adderall XR 5mg
- Adderall XR 10mg
- Adderall XR 15mg
- Adderall XR 20mg
- Adderall XR 25mg
- Adderall XR 30mg
Adderall XR is available generically and is produced by a variety of generic manufacturers.
Similar to Adderall XR, Mydayis is an extended release amphetamine salt product but contains 3 types of drug beads versus the 2 that Adderall XR contains. Mydayis contains:
- Immediate release beads that work quickly after administration
- Delayed release beads designed to release mid-day
- Delayed release beads designed to release into the evening
Mydayis was designed to deliver a consistent dose of amphetamine salts over a longer period of time than Adderall XR. More specifically, Mydayis may be a good option for those who found Adderall XR wears off too quickly (which sometimes necessitates a "booster" immediate release amphetamine salt dose during the day.)
The above graph illustrates the concentration of drug levels with Mydayis compared to Adderall XR plus immediate release amphetamine (i.e. booster dose) dosed 8 hours later. As you can see, Mydayis provides more consistent drug levels when compared to Adderall XR plus the "booster" amphetamine dose. Mydayis ideally prevents a "wearing off" effect and allows for once daily dosing.
Mydayis is only available as the brand name and is not available generically. Mydayis is available in the following strengths:
- Mydayis 12.5mg
- Mydayis 25mg
- Mydayis 37.5mg
- Mydayis 50mg
Mydayis is available in higher strengths (and is initially dosed higher) than Adderall XR as the contents are released over a longer period of time.
Summary Of Similarities & Differences Between Adderall XR & Mydayis
- Both contain the same active ingredients, but in different strengths
- Adderall XR contains a dual-release bead system, releasing medication at two different times of the day
- Mydayis contains three drug delivery beads, releasing medication immediately, mid-day and afternoon
- Adderall XR is designed to mimic the dosing of immediate release Adderall dosed twice daily
- Mydayis is designed to deliver therapeutic levels of amphetamine salts in a once daily dose
- Adderall XR is available generically while Mydayis is not
To summarize, both products are very similar, containing the same ingredients. However, Mydayis provides more consistent drug levels and lasts longer than Adderall XR in most cases.