I accidentally bought the Children's Flonase Sensimist have not opened but threw the receipt out. As an adult, can I still use?
Flonase (fluticasone) Sensimist is an over the counter nasal steroid used for treating allergic rhinitis.
Children's Flonase Sensimist and Flonase Sensimist (for adults) both contain the same amount of fluticasone furoate (27.5mg) per spray. The two differences between the products are:
- Children's Flonase Sensimist contains 60 sprays and is indicated to be dosed in those aged 2 to 11 as one spray in each nostril daily.
- Flonase Sensimist (for adults) is indicated to be dosed as one to two sprays in each nostril daily. It is available as a 60 spray or 120 spray product.
Due to both products containing the same amount of the active ingredient fluticasone furoate, an adult can use the Children's Flonase Sensimist and just follow the adult dosage instructions for Flonase Sensimst.
We have included pictures of the packages for both Children's Flonase Sensimist and the regular Flonase Sensimist at the end of this article.
Adult Flonase Sensimist Dosing
- Instill 2 sprays into each nostril once daily (110 mcg total) for 1 week.
- After 1 week use 1 to 2 sprays per nostril daily (55 mcg to 110 mcg) as needed.
- After 6 months of over the counter use a healthcare provider should be contacted.
Child (Ages 2 to 11) Dosing For Flonase Sensimist:
- Instill 1 spray into each nostril daily (55 mcg total).
- Use for the shortest duration possible to relieve symptoms.
- If use for more than 2 months a health care provider should be consulted.
Proper Administration of Flonase Sensimist:
- Shake well before each use.
- Before first use release six "priming" sprays.
- Spray into nostril at a slight angle towards the outside of the nostril.
- If using 2 sprays in a nostril alternate to the other nostril before using second dose.
- Wipe nozzle and cap with a clean dry tissue, do not use water.
- If you leave the cap off for 5 days or have not used the Sensimist for 30 days you need to repeat the "priming" process.