If you miss your evening dose of metformin , can it be taken a few hours later or should you skip it?
At a glance
- If you miss a dose of metformin, you should take it as soon as you remember unless otherwise directed by your doctor. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose and do not double-up or take extra doses.
Metformin is an antidiabetic drug used to improve glycemic control in both adults and children with Type 2 diabetes. Less commonly, it is used 'off-label' for the treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
If you accidentally miss a scheduled dose, instructions are simple:
- Take your dose as soon as you remember.
- If it is almost time for your next dose, only take that dose and do not 'double-up' or take extra.
MedlinePlus, provided by the U.S. National Library of Medicine, specifically states:
- Elsevier ClinicalKey: Metformin Monograph (Accessed 1/10/19)
- MedlinePlus Metformin Drug Info (Accessed 1/10/19)
- Glucophage Prescribing Information (Accessed 1/10/19)