I was looking into using CBD OIL 2.5% for chronic knee pain after a bad fall couple years ago but i also am currently on Microgynon pill will this effect it in any way or is it fine to use alongside the pill?
Thanks for writing us! We wrote an article regarding the potential interaction between CBD (cannabidiol) oil and birth control pills, which can be found here: Does CBD (Cannabidiol) Interact With Birth Control?
The above article thoroughly discusses the potential interaction between CBD and birth control pills. Nevertheless, below are the salient points:
- CBD is a constituent of the cannabis plant. It is a non-euphoric component, unlike THC, and may help with a variety of indications, including pain and inflammation.
- There is a lack of data available regarding whether or not CBD interacts with hormone containing birth control pills.
- CBD has been shown to affect certain CYP metabolizing enzymes, and can therefore theoretically affect how drugs are metabolized.
- However, an interaction with birth control pills not been shown clinically and it is unlikely that CBD negatively affects the efficacy of the pills.
- It should be noted that a recently approved CBD prescription product (Epidiolex) does not list birth control pills as a potential drug interaction.