Stolen Controlled Substance Prescription: What To Do

The pharmacist discusses what to do if your controlled substance prescription is stolen.

Stolen Controlled Substance Prescription: What To Do
Aug 02, 2018

Raebo90 asked

I had picked up my medication yesterday (clonazepam). I placed it in the center console of my car. When I had gone to my car to get them, they were gone. I'm not sure what to do or where to begin. I thought about going to my mental health facility to talk to someone. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

At a glance

  • If your controlled substance prescription is stolen, file a police report.
  • Discuss the situation with your doctor and provide the police report if necessary. They may be able/willing to write a 'replacement' prescription for you.
  • If a new prescription is issued, the doctor and the pharmacy will have to connect to authorize what will technically be an 'early' fill. The pharmacy may want a copy of the police report.
  • Call your insurance company to inquire whether or not they cover lost or stolen medication.



I'm sorry to hear your clonazepam prescription was stolen!

The most important thing to do if your controlled substance prescription (e.g. clonazepam in this case) is stolen is to file a police report. It is extremely important to have this documented and retain a copy of the report.

It stands to reason that if your prescription was stolen, you will need a replacement fill from your pharmacy.

As prescriptions (and fills) for controlled substances follow strict regulations and are subject to monitoring, there is little chance you can simply fill your prescription again (if it has refills) or get a replacement fill for it without first discussing the situation with your doctor.

Replacement Fill For A Stolen Controlled Prescription

After filing a police report and getting a copy, go and speak with your doctor about the situation. As there are state laws that preclude the early filling controlled substances, there would need to be an acceptable extenuating circumstance for another prescription to be issued.

You want to have a police report available to prove (at least within reason) that you truly had your prescription stolen and you aren't simply claiming it. A police report will lend credibility to your situation.

In addition, the doctor will have to contact your pharmacy (or the pharmacy will contact the doctor) regarding your replacement prescription if one is issued. Since you technically will be filling your prescription 'early' (based on your last fill) the pharmacy will have to authorize the fill and document in their system why it is being filled early.

Insurance Problems

Aside from potential problems getting a replacement prescription for your controlled substance, you may run into issues with your insurance company. Some cover lost/stolen medications but many do not. It is important to know that you may have to pay out of pocket (i.e. 'cash') for the prescription.

Be sure to contact your prescription insurance company to verify the details of your plan and whether or not they cover the stolen medication.

Lastly, be prepared to wait a little longer at the pharmacy when filling your prescription. Even if your insurance covers the stolen medication, the pharmacy typically needs to call the company and have the appropriate overrides applied before it gets processed by the system.

  1. Part 80: Rules and Regulations on Controlled Substances in NYS. Health NY
  2. DEA Diversion Control Division. DEA

Ready for a more personal experience with your meds?