If I am taking Junel Fe 1/20 as birth control and was prescribed a low dose (10mg) of Tofranil (imipramine) will that make my birth control less effective? Also I was prescribed Vesicare 10mg daily, will that effect the birth control?
At a glance
- Tofranil and Vesicare should not decrease the effectiveness of your birth control pills (Junel).
- Tofranil and Vesicare however, may have additive side effects, but in most cases, will be generally mild.
There is, however, a moderate interaction between Tofranil (imipramine) and Vesicare (solifenacin).
Tofranil With Vesicare
Both imipramine and Vesicare (solifenacin) have what is known as 'anticholinergic effects', which could be additive when used together. These effects include:
- Fainting or falling spells
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty with urination
- Dry mouth
- Changes in vision
The risk of these side effects in your situation is relatively low for two reasons:
- You are taking a small dose of Tofranil (imipramine), and the side effects of the drug are (mostly) dose-dependent.
- Vesicare is selective for receptors in the bladder and has minimal effects elsewhere in the body.
Nevertheless, they are good to know about so you can be aware of what to look for.