Our pharmacist answers the latest question regarding taking Plexus Slim while nursing (breastfeeding).
Hi! Is using Plexus Slim Pink drink safe while nursing (breastfeeding)?
As a general rule of thumb, it is not recommended to take products such as Plexus Slim while nursing because there is not sufficient safety data regarding all of the ingredients in the product. It may very well be safe to use, but since the drink contains many different herbal preparations, we just don't have a definitive answer.
At PharmacistAnswers, we get a lot of questions regarding herbal/weight loss products and their safety while either pregnancy or breastfeeding. We wish we could give a clear cut answer but unfortunately we cannot. What we do do however, is list all the ingredients for our readers and break everything down as thoroughly as possible. Below is a picture of the nutrition label and a small discussion on each ingredient:
- Chromium is a trace element that is essential to the functioning of many different enzymes in our body.
- It is thought to help regulate our insulin response to sugars. It is commonly used as a supplement for weight loss.
- Chromium supplementation is generally considered safe in both pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Chlorogenic acid is a component of coffee beans and is commonly known as "green coffee" . It has been shown in studies to inhibit an enzyme known as glucose-6-phosphate, which is necessary for the formation of glucose (a simple sugar).
- It is also thought to possibly help regulate insulin and therefore our responses to sugar better.
- There is no good data regarding chlorogenic acid and use while breastfeeding.
- Beets are used for countless medical and consumer based indications. In fact, the beet sugar industry generates billions of dollars per year and is the second largest source of sugar in the world.
- Beet extract is thought to have high amounts of fiber which may help with glycemic control and cholesterol.
- Caution is typically advised during breastfeeding due to lack of evidence but it is generally considered to be safe.
- Luo Han Guo is a vine that is native to both China and Thailand. Luo han guo is literally translated as "monk's fruit". It is commonly referred to as the longevity fruit.
- It is thought that this supplement is a powerful antioxidant that plays an important role in reducing oxidative stress from free radicals. It is also used a non-caloric sweetener.
- There is no data on use while breast feeding.