How long after I take Protonix (pantoprazole) may I take other Rx medicines?
At a glance
- For best effects, Protonix should be taken 30-60 minutes before other food and medication.
- Several medications may need to be separated by longer periods of time, so be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist.
Protonix (pantoprazole) is a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) used to treat:
- Dyspepsia (indigestion)
- Pyrosis (heartburn)
- Erosive esophagitis (erosive GERD)
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
- Helicobacter pylori infections
Protonix, like all proton pump inhibitors, works by suppressing gastric acid secretion by inhibiting the gastric (H+,K+)-ATPase enzyme pump.
The antisecretory effects persist for more than 24 hours, which allows for once-daily dosing in most cases.
How To Take Protonix
Although Protonix can be taken with most other medications, for optimal effect, most guidelines recommend Protonix to be taken as follows:
- Take on an empty stomach, 30-60 minutes before meals.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, crush, or split the tablet.
Therefore, if you have other medications you need to take, it would be ideal to wait 30-60 minutes after taking Protonix.
However, based on how many medications you are prescribed, it can sometimes to difficult to reconcile dosing schedules and separate administration times.
Therefore, it may be recommended to take Protonix at the same time as some of your other medication, which is safe in most situations. Just be sure to discuss your medication list and proper dosing with your doctor/pharmacist.
What Does Protonix Interact With
Protonix interacts with a variety of prescription and non-prescription medications.
The most severe drug interactions with Protonix are with medications used to treat HIV, including atazanavir and rilpivirine. Other major interactions include drugs that rely on a certain stomach pH, like ampicillin.
Be sure let your doctor/pharmacist know all the medication you take so you can avoid any potentially serious interactions. This includes herbal supplements as well (Protonix has a major interaction with St. John's Wort for example).