Foreign Pharmacist Licensure

Our pharmacist answers the latest question regarding transferring over an international pharmacist license.

Sep 28, 2017

Syed asked

Within a year i'll finish my bachelor of pharmacy, I have no intention of going back to my country and work there as per their regulation, rules, which is taking years to finish those. I've been thinking of moving out but even I have no clue how to apply and where to apply . iIt would be great if someone have some information to share with me, and how is the pharmacy society out there? Any help will be appreciated. By the way, I'm from Iran and soon will graduate from an institution affiliated by rajiv gandhi university which is a very high ranked in india.


Licensure in the United States is completely dependent on the state in which you wish to be licensed. I  would therefore refer you to check out the guidelines for the state you are thinking of relocating to. I am from New York State so I can refer you to their website:


The requirements necessary to become a licensed pharmacist in New York State based on foreign education follow in the order of required completion:

  • Pass the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Equivalency (FPGEE) and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) and obtain Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC) certification. Information regarding this exam can be obtained from the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) at External Link Icon.
  • Complete and submit an Application for Licensure and First Registration (Form 1) along with the $339 fee for licensure and first registration.
  • Complete Section 1 of a Certification of Professional Education (Form 2) and forward it to the appropriate academic institution and ask they complete and submit the form along with any other required documentation to the Department.
  • Pass the North American Pharmacist Licensure Exam (NAPLEX). Apply on-line at External Link Icon. NABP will mail you the Authorization to Test (ATT) once New York State verifies your eligibility with NABP.
  • Complete and subit an Application for a Limited (Intern) Permit (Form 5). You must obtain an intern permit before engaging in the supervised practice of pharmacy in New York State.
  • Complete one year (2,080 hours) of internship. Additional information can be found under Experience Requirements.
  • Complete and submit a Certification of an Internship in Pharmacy (Form 4).
  • Pass Part II - Multi-State Pharmacy Jurisprudence Exam (MPJE) and Part III - Written and Practical Compounding Exam.

Ready for a more personal experience with your meds?